Editorial: Renisha McBride’s Autopsy Produces Interesting Results

Editorial: Murder Of Black Detroit Teen Racially Motivated???

The curious details surrounding the death of 19-year-old Detroit woman Renisha McBride continue to emerge in the days since her unfortunate passing. Now with an official autopsy report made available to the public, the family attorney is seeking charges against the White man who fired the shot that killed McBride.

An article from Detroit News shared the autopsy report, which revealed the grim description of the wound that ended McBride’s life. The Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled McBride’s death a homicide, although the unidentified 54-year-old man has not been formerly charged.

“There was an entrance shotgun wound to the face, with no evidence of close range discharge of a firearm noted on the skin surrounding this wound,” reads the report by Assistant Medical Examiner Kilak Kesha.

Gerald Thurswell, the attorney for the McBride family, shared on Monday more details on the events leading up to the tragic event. Thurswell said that McBride crashed her car about a mile from the suburban home where she was killed. He also said a woman stopped to aid McBride but said she was “confused” and walked away from the scene on November 2 when the crash happened.

The White homeowner faces heavy scrutiny, considering his home was locked and he left his residence to confront the injured McBride. An attorney not related to the case observed that the homeowner will have a difficult time invoking a Michigan law that’s similar to the “stand your ground” defense in Florida.

“It’s unjustified to open your door and shoot someone in the face because they rang your doorbell or knocked on your door,” attorney Arnold Reed said. “Don’t open the door and call the police.”

The “Castle Doctrine” law states that a person can use deadly force in cases where they believe death or sexual assault are imminent threats and it occurs inside the defendant’s home.

Further details from the report state that McBride’s clothing was wet, but did not mention any other facial or head injuries.

Authorities have been mum about the case, and have yet to respond to media inquiries regarding the case, including calls from NewsOne.