In this episode of "People's Party With Talib Kweli," Kweli and Jasmin Leigh sit down with hip hop radio icons:
STRETCH & BOBBITO
DJ Stretch Armstrong and Robert "Bobbito" Garcia's radio show catapulted the careers of many all-time greats. Here's some of the things that they explored:
- How Stretch and Bob became friends through their shared passion for the culture.
- The responsibility of bringing the best of what hip hop had to offer.
- The evolution of the analog DJ with crates to the DJs of today with digital catalogs.
- Stretch reminding Lil' Kim that she wasn't so nice to him back in the day.
- Why Stretch decided to not seriously pursue producing in the long run.
- Competing niches and annoying one another with each other's song selections.
- Nas stating that he was a regular listener of the show at the time he made 'Illmatic'.
- If they ever feel they didn't get due credit from artists that made it through their platform.
- Jay-Z's reaction to their bag of vintage freestyle tapes.
- Feeling the weight of becoming role models and voices for the culture.