The state of South Carolina is preparing to begin lengthy recovery efforts after storms dumped nearly 6 trillion gallons of rain and left the state virtually underwater.
Essence Magazine reports that the death toll from last week’s storms has risen to 14, with another two deaths in North Carolina. The flooding has caused more than $1 billion in damage with 42,000 homes still without running water (that number peaked at 130,000). Yesterday (9.5.2015), President Obama declared the flooding a major disaster.
South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley said in a statement:
“We have now entered the largest recovery program our nation offers in an almost unprecedented time frame. What this allows us to do is to assess the damage of this storm in every single county and continue to add to the list of those eligible for this support—a list we know will grow.”
Tuesday (9.6.2015) marks the first day in more than a week that the sun came out and floodwaters began to rescind. However, many are concerned that the floodwaters could cause damage to the coast as they begin to recede. More so, insurance meteorologist Steve Bowen told USA Today that many homeowners don’t have National Flood Insurance Program coverage.