In this episode of "People's Party With Talib Kweli", Kweli and Jasmin Leigh sit down with the legendary hip-hop group:
This crew set a new bar for hardcore hip-hop when they hit the scene in 1993. Here's some of what you'll hear in this one:
- The importance of Big DS to the Onyx legacy
- Baisley Park as the epicenter of the Queens hip-hop scene
- Lo Life booster crew affiliations and Polo gear in hip-hop
- The story of how Onyx linked up with Jam Master Jay
- The chaotic video shoot for Onyx's "Throw Ya Gunz"
- Pulling inspiration from Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
- How Chyskillz helped define the Onyx sound on their first album
- The transition in tone from 'Bacdafucup' to 'All We Got Iz Us'
- Rapper X1 breathing new life into Onyx on the 'Shut 'Em Down' album
- Whether Sonny Seeza is still part of the group
- Starring in the 1993 film "Strapped" and the TV show "Moesha"
- Sticky's digital album movie 'It's About T.I.M.E.'
- How touring overseas has been so important to the group and its longevity
- Fredro and Sticky's take on the current state of policing
- The TV show "Snowfall"
- How Onyx got together with the German production team Snowgoons
- The 2021 Onyx release 'Onyx 4 Life'