In this episode of "People's Party With Talib Kweli", Talib Kweli and Jasmin Leigh sit down with rapper and writer:
Here's what they got into:
- Niko and Talib reflect on their first meeting in Niko's hometown of Orlando, Florida
- How they came together and collaborated on the song "Carmen"
- The diverse energies present amongst the different areas of Orlando
- Gratitude to Niko for being able to turn Talib onto new music
- Feeling blessed to have such a strong, inspiring, and supportive mother
- 2Pac's 'All Eyez On Me' revealing a new world through music
- Meeting his producer Thanks Joey while attending high school together
- The 'Chill' mixtapes and getting Action Bronson and Casey Veggies to contribute
- Gaining some early momentum with rap battles on online forums
- Moving to LA and rapping for money at Venice Beach
- Niko and Thanks Joey's unique sampling of Brazilian music
- Filming the videos for "Carmen" and "Green Tomato Coupe"
- Niko and Talib touring Europe together following the release of 'Brutus'
- Meeting Chaz Van Queen and forming the Colours Of The Culture crew
- Getting to collaborate with Talib and 9th Wonder on their 'Indy 500' project
- Recording the majority of his 2018 'Uniko' album in Brazil
- Talib's take on encountering too many nipples at Rio's Carnival
- "Bourdain" featuring Narcy, being inspired by the life of Anthony Bourdain
- Working with Thirstin Howl III and his significance to Spanglish hip hop
- Niko's "Spanish Harlem" drawing inspiration from Rosie Perez
- Touring with Talib, Styles P, Chino XL as well as Immortal Technique
- How Niko and Talib maintain by balancing work and play while on tour
- Linking up with California Terry in Gainesville to make '88 Days A Week'
- Dave Chappelle being blown away by his performance on "I'll Tell Ya Later"
- What's next for NIKO IS