Canada, similarly to the US, has several cities that are its hip-hop hot spots. While there is not nearly as many, and nor are they nearly as saturated with artists, most music fans can name at least an MC or two from Vancouver, one or two from Montreal, and maybe three or four from Toronto. However, unless you are a Canadian, or are deeply into underground hip hop from the late '90s, you are not likely to know that Halifax, Nova Scotia boasts an established scene full of talent.
Yep, you guessed it; we're mentioning all that because ChanHays is a Halifax native who was a part of that scene with his group Something Good in the early '00s. He eventually left the group with the goal to spread out and work with heads from all over. And that is exactly what he did. On top of working with some of the best MCs Canada's East coast has churned out (Saukrates, Ghettosocks, TaiChiChi), he went and got all our favorite true school MCs from across the US for his upcoming album, Here. There are so many dope names, we aren't even going list them, I am just going to hit you with the impressive tracklist below.
ChanHays had this to say about the variety of sounds and depth of talent on the project: "I wanted a wide range in the sound to showcase my production. I feel I can do it all. That said, there's a continuity throughout the tracks and the artists featured. These are artists I've been a fan of for years and I think I've given them backdrops on which they can really flex."
After previously leaking the Cool Kids assisted "New Bag" and "Running" featuring Elzhi, Skyzoo, & Uptown XO (aka ½ of Diamond District), ChanHays lets loose one more track--that will appear on the Here album--titled "Ghost In The Shell" featuring Pharoahe Monch, Ras Kass, & Ghettosocks.
- Of The Essence featuring Skyzoo
- Running featuring Skyzoo, Elzhi, & Uptown XO
- Freedom featuring Edo G, Reks, Skyzoo, & Reeny Smith
- Untitled featuring Pharaohe Monch, Ras Kass, & Ghettosocks
- You Gotta Love It featuring Ras Kass, Guilty Simpson, Ghettosocks, & TaiChiChi
- Smokin featuring Guilty Simpson, Fat Kat, & Phat Ray
- New Bag featuring The Cool Kids
- Horn Play featuring Roc Marciano, Meyhem Lauren, & Ghettosocks
- Bully Zone featuring Conway & Ill Bill
- Front Page featuring El Camino Sway & Benny The Butcher
- The Shoes featuring Homeboy Sandman, Ghettosocks, & John Robinson
- Infinity featuring Masta Ace, Nilla, & AG
- The Medicine featuring Cormega, Quake Matthews, & Ruste Juxx
- Diamonds featuring Torae, Vice Soletric, & Rapper Big Pooh
- You Never Knew featuring Supastition, Ambition, & One Be Lo
- Sit Back featuring Erick Sermon & Saukrates
- Droppin Science Posse Cut
**All tracks produced by ChanHays**
"Ghost In The Shell" featuring Ghettosocks, Pharaohe Monch, & Ras Kass:
"The Shoes" featuring Homeboy Sandman, Ghettosocks, & John Robinson:
ChanHays' debut album, Here, is now available to cop via Bandcamp