In this episode of “People’s Party With Talib Kweli,” Kweli and Jasmin Leigh sit down with legendary New Orleans DJ, producer, rapper:
Below are just a few of the topics covered with a man that owns the legacy as an integral part of what would become the New Orleans hip hop signature sound.
They talk about….
- New Orleans’ rich history of music and how that inspired Mannie.
- Mannie’s mother being a teacher and his father being a New Orleans DJ legend in his own right.
- Forming one of the first New Orleans hip hop crews with ‘New York Incorporated’.
- His long-time friendship with renowned musician Trombone Shorty.
- Manny’s work with Big Freedia: Queen of Bounce.
- The humble beginnings of Cash Money Records.
- Juvenile and his incredible freestyle abilities.
- Cash Money’s defining moment with ‘Back That Azz Up’.
- Lil’ Wayne and his evolution into a lyrical juggernaut.
- The criticism of Cash Money and their bling brand of hip hop.
- The recent Verzuz battle with Scott Storch and the backlash that followed.
All this and much more as they delve deeply into Cash Money Records and New Orleans hip-hop history.