In this episode of "People's Party With Talib Kweli", Talib Kweli and Jasmin Leigh sit down with legendary DJ, producer, multi-instrumentalist, and rapper:
The Bad Kid, The Beat Konducta, The Loop Digga, Quasimoto...
They were privileged enough to get a rare interview with one of the most elusive legends in hip-hop. Here's what they discussed:
- Using music to steer clear of gang-life in his hometown of Oxnard, CA
- His family's deep roots in Jazz music
- Brother rapper/producer Oh No and Madlib's first group Lootpack
- Being influenced by the works of Melvin Van Peebles
- Working under his alias of Quasimoto
- His mystical musical connection with J Dilla and his love of MF Doom
- Talib and Madlib working together on 'Liberation'
- Getting to remix his favorite Blue Note Records' tracks for 'Shades Of Blue'
- Making 'Auditorium' with Mos Def and 'The Healer' with Erykah Badu
- Producing the entire 'Black Star II' album
- Working with Freddie Gibbs on 'Piñata' and 'Bandana'
- Madlib's friendship with Mac Miller
- Why a producer's equipment isn't important and the power of an iPad
- The eclectic vision of his project 'Sound Ancestors'
- DJs having the easy path to becoming great producers
- Madlib gives his top 5 producers