In this episode of "People's Party With Talib Kweli", Talib Kweli and Jasmin Leigh sit down with Brooklyn-based Mixtape DJ, remixer, and hip-hop producer:
Here's what they got into with the man Questlove hailed as "the most creative mixtape producer of all-time":
- Early days of learning the New York mixtape street hustle
- Linking up with Talib and Nneka to make the 'Heartbeat Remix'
- Why J. moved from LA to BK and how it ended up shaping his career
- Helping DJ Jazzy Jeff form the Playlist Retreat and connection made along the way
- How the 'Rise Up!', 'Story To Tell', and 'Legacy Of James Brown' projects all came together
- André 3000 and Lauryn Hill not getting their props as two of the GOATS
- How befriending Rohan Marley led to getting Ms. Hill's blessing for her J.Period mixtape
- Black Thought's incredible vocal abilities, as well as how he and J. became friends
- If J. gets intimidated when he takes on classics like The Beatles' 'Come Together'
- Having the privilege of being the first to introduce Masego to A Tribe Called Quest
- Learning about Jazz artists from checking for the sample credits on hip hop albums
- Flipping Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's song 'Ohio'
- The creative vibe he experienced while working at Chappelle's Summer Camp
- Serving as the music supervisor for the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets
- J.'s five favorite DJ's as well as his five favorite producers
"People's Party With Talib Kweli" is also available to give a listen via Spotify | SoundCloud | Google Play | Apple