DeMar DeRozan On Kevin Hart’s ‘Cold As Balls’
This week’s episode of Cold As Balls from Kevin Hart’s Laugh Out Loud features NBA Spurs star DeMar DeRozan. In the episode, DeMar gets real about mental health and the emphasis he puts on helping others push through their own struggles. He opens up on his viral tweet about depression during All-Star Weekend 2018 and talks about the deep conversations he used to have with Nipsey Hussle about making their community better.
Episode Highlights Include:
- DeMar opens up about the challenges he faced moving to a different country at 19 years old when he was drafted ninth to the Toronto Raptors.
- He reveals it took him a full year to adjust to the Canadian lifestyle and get used to being in the NBA, sharing that part of the reason why he chose USC for school was to stay close to his family in Compton, CA.
- Kevin Hart reveals that Kevin Love spoke highly of DeMar, crediting him for giving him the courage to talk about mental health.
- DeMar reveals All-Star Weekend in LA inspired him to become an advocate for speaking out about mental health because all he wanted to do was go home and see his kids. The tweet he sent about the pressure getting to him at that time opened up a larger conversation.
- DeMar shares that he still deals with struggles from when he was a teenager that he will always have to work through. He shares that opening up about his own mental health can help other people and that’s “bigger than basketball”.
- DeMar reminisces about his relationship with Nipsey Hussle and how he used to have dinner with him all the time, diving into deep conversations about how to better their community.
New episodes of Cold As Balls are scheduled to air each Tuesday on Kevin Hart’s Laugh Out Loud YouTube channel. Upcoming guests include Olympic athlete Lolo Jones, former WWE champions the Bella Twins, and more.