In this episode of “People’s Party With Talib Kweli,” Kweli and Jasmin Leigh sit down with 11-time Grammy nominated rapper, singer, record producer, actor, record executive, mega-hit maker machine as well as one of Kweli’s chief inspirations and mentors:
This long-awaited and long-overdue episode doesn’t disappoint.
Here’s a few of the insightful topics discussed during this conversation between close friends:
- Things learned on tour and under the tutelage of Chuck D and Public Enemy.
- How Busta gained his reputation as the go-to emcee for features on a remix.
- What caused the clash of Busta, Charlie Brown, and Dinco D leading to the break up of LONS.
- The mentorship of Q-Tip and Busta being the gatekeeper to 100’s of unreleased J Dilla beats.
- How Busta landed a solo deal with ‘The Coming’, and taking 7 months to write ”Woo Hah!!’
- Influences of the Five-Percent Nation and gaining knowledge-of-self at an early age.
- Meeting President Obama at the White House to speak along with Talib and others.
- Working with Hype Williams on some of the most expensive music videos of all-time.
- Learning a new level of discipline while making the ‘Big Bang’ album with Dr. Dre.
- Reaching a moment of clarity when he was hospitalized for a life-threatening condition.
- The making of his latest album ‘Extinction Level Event 2: The Wrath of God’.
- Discussion about a potential Verzuz celebrating the careers of Busta and Missy Elliott.
The full episode is mandatory viewing as they dig into some great history during the next two hours.