Like most websites, VannDigital uses cookies. In order to deliver a personalized, responsive service, & to improve the site, we remember & store information about how you use it. This is done using simple text files called cookies which sit on your computer. These cookies are completely safe & secure and will never contain any sensitive information. They are used only by VannDigital or the trusted partners that we work with.

Black Man & Woman Murdered By Police In West Side Chicago

Black Man & Woman Murdered By Police In West Side Chicago

A man and woman were killed in an early morning police-involved shooting following what police say was a domestic disturbance at a West Garfield Park residence.

Early information indicated a man and a woman were injured near Kilpatrick Avenue and Erie Street, but Chicago Police News Affairs could not immediately confirm that information.

In a Chicago Police Department statement issued about 9:50 a.m., officials said, shortly before 4:30 a.m., officers responded to a domestic disturbance in the 4700 block of West Erie Street and were confronted by a “combative subject,” which resulted in the discharging of an officer’s weapon. Two people were fatally wounded, the statement said.

Quintonio LeGrier, 19, was shot seven times and pronounced dead, according to family members at the scene.

LeGrier had graduated from Gwendolyn Brooks College Preparatory Academy, said Janet Cooksey, LeGrier’s mother, and was studying engineering at Northern Illinois University.

“My son was going somewhere,” she said. “He wasn’t just a thug on the street.”

But he hadn’t been himself since September, family members said. He started to have severe mood swings, and was easily agitated, they said. The obedient young man they had known was now sometimes difficult.

“I was praying with him, because he wasn’t acting like himself,” said Betty Turner, 56, LeGrier’s great-aunt.

LeGrier was agitated in the second-floor apartment that morning, and he was carrying a metal baseball bat, family members said. His father became worried and called the police.