Here Are The Top 7 Black-Owned Restaurants In New Orleans...
New Orleans, Louisiana is known as one of the culinary capitals of the United States. Food served in this amazing city reflects the local Cajun, Creole, & French roots. Visitors come from all over the world just to taste it's exquisite gumbo, jambalaya, crawfish, red beans & rice, and more. And every summer, hundreds of thousands of African Americans come to New Orleans to attend the Essence Music Festival.
Here are some of the best Black-owned restaurants in New Orleans:
- Ray's On The Ave: located at 1139 St Bernard Ave, famous for fast service, gumbo & fried chicken, boiled crawfish, and live music.
- Fred’s BBQ & Soul Food: located at 3336 S Claiborne Ave, serves some of the best barbecue in New Orleans, along with Mac & cheese, yams, and corn.
- Heard Dat Kitchen: located at 2520 Felicity St will more than satisfy you if your craving is for Cajun/Creole, Seafood, Soul Food. Try their crawfish stuffed shrimp, and the blacken catfish and green beans for starters. Good food & southern hospitality.
- Bennachin Restaurant: located in the French Quarter, serves some of the best African & Soul food around. From cabbage and couscous (Yasa) to the black-eyed peas and coconut rice with plantains (Kone Ni Makondo), it's all good here!
- High Hat Cafe: located ;at 4500 Freret St, specializes in southern, soul food favorites like catfish, BBQ gold shrimp, shrimp Po boy, one eyed burger, mac & cheese, cornbread, pimento cheese grits, and slow-roasted pork. The restaurant is also dog-friendly!
- McHardy’s Chicken & Fixin’: located at 1458 N Broad St, is a favorite among chicken-lovers. Customers consider their fresh, fried chicken the best in the city. Reasonable prices, too.
- Catty Car Corner: located at 1340 Poydras St, has a 1980s style decor and serves cafeteria style, including breakfast. One of their specialties is grilled cheese sandwich made with gruyere, caramelized onions, and prosciutto. Customers say it is "melted high-quality cheese." Try their pulled pork, too. The restaurant is closed for dinner but serves breakfast and lunch.