During the winter holiday season, billions of dollars are spent in the United States, and almost all of it goes towards gifting and traveling. Companies like Walmart, Target, & even Amazon generate hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue during this time of the year.
However, there are also many smaller Black-owned companies that are also cashing in during this peak season.
Here are 8 Black-owned businesses that generate quite a bit of revenue during the months of October, November, & December:
- Rodger’s Travel, Inc: This company is the oldest Black-owned travel agency in the country. Because many people like to take vacations during the holiday season, they are always very busy during this time helping people nationwide book the best flights, hotels, resorts, cruises, & more.
- Patti LaBelle Cakes & Pies: Singer Patti LaBelle has more than 5 different cakes and pies that are popular throughout the year, but especially popular during the holiday season. Her sweet potato pies & vanilla pound cakes are always big sellers.
- CamiCakes: This Black-owned bakery chain sells yummy gourmet cupcakes that everyone seems to love. Although based in the Atlanta area with 7 different locations, they ship nationwide and are very popular gifts during the holiday season. People seem to especially love their cupcakes with smooth buttercream & cream cheese frosting.
- Airfordable: People love to fly during the holiday season, but may not always be able to afford the high price of peak season tickets. So, this Black-owned company allows users to create a payment plan when buying airline tickets. They can make an upfront deposit, and pay the remaining balance in bi-weekly recurring payments before the departure date.
- Innclusive.com: Again, traveling is very big during the holiday season and so this innovative service, created recently by several Black entrepreneurs, allows African American families to find & rent luxury vacation homes without having to deal with racial discrimination – a growing problem with other competing services like Airbnb.
- African American Expressions: This company is the world’s largest Black-owned gift & greeting-card company. They are known for their eye-catching designs & poignant art pieces, which consist of the best selection of culturally authentic gifts such as Black calendars, African-American greeting cards, Black figurines, & more.
- Brown Estate Wines: People love to drink wine during the holidays, and so this Black family-owned business makes and sells some of the finest wine that Napa Valley has to offer. Their selections include Napa Valley Zinfandel, Chiles Valley Zinfandel, Mickey’s Block Zinfandel, Rosemary’s Block Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Chardonnay, & more.
- Glory Foods: Based in Columbus, Ohio, this Black-owned company has been available in nearly every grocery store across the country. Especially during the holiday season, people love to buy their sauces, dressings, & gravies. But they are also known for their breads, casseroles, pastas, salads, black-eyed peas, green beans, & more.